Although we are sure to have surprises along the way which may be grounds for changing course, our hope is to take this route from London to Cameroon.
For all of you following the trip planning, we have decided to skip the party outside Prague. Gas prices are too high, and we decided by July 18th we will be itching to hit the African road.
That being said, our route is pretty much set and our current itinerary is below.
PLEASE NOTE, THE DATES BELOW ARE APPROXIMATE!
This page reflects both our planned route as well as LIVE GPS information showing you our current location as we travel!
The Google map below shows our full route and is updated based on signals we send from our SPOT messenger. You can also check out a larger version of this map here. Click on any blue icon in the map to see the local date and time we were there.
The Google map is updated often, but we are still working to get it to automatically import realtime updates. For a REALTIME view of our travel in the previous 24 hours only, check our map on the SPOT page. UPDATE: WE ARE WORKING TO PUT A MAP UP OF OUR ACTUAL ROUTE … STAY TUNED!!
Our planned route:
London, England to a small city in Southern Spain (July 18- 21)
The rally starts on Friday, July 18th and our current plan is to take the Chunnel from London to France and drive south through Europe via France and Spain. This will be a blur, and we don’t plan to make any real stops. Once in southern Spain, we plan to utilize our contacts in the area and rest up, tune up and mentally prepare for the long road to Cameroon.
Algeciras, Spain to Tangier, Morocco
From Algeciras we will take a quick ferry to Tangier, a port town in Morocco. We’ve heard it isn’t the nicest place, so our plan is to get off the boat in Morocco and drive quite a bit south of the city before bedding down for the night. And here our real adventure begins …
MOROCCO/WESTERN SAHARA (July 22 - 27)
- Cross Algeciras, Spain to Tangier, Morocco
- Tangier, Morocco to Fes
- Fes to Marakesh or somewhere near
- Marakesh to Laayoune, Western Sahara
- Laayoune to near Dakhla (N’tirift)
- Dakhala to the border of Mauritania
MAURITANIA (July 27 - July 30)
- Mauritanian Border to Nouakchott
- Nouakchott to Aleg
- Aleg to (via Sangrafa and Magta Lahjar) Kiffa
- Kiffa to Ayoun el Atrous
- Ayoun el Atrous / Gogui to cross into Mali at Diandioume
MALI (July 31 - August 3)
- Diema to Bamako (via Metanbougou)
- Bamako to Segou
- Segou to Bobo-Dioulasso (via Koutiala)
BURKINA FASO (August 4 - August 8)
- Bobo-Dioulasso to Ouagadougou
- Ouagadougou to Niamey, Niger (crossing at Foetchango)
NIGER (August 9 - August 10)
- via Niamey
NIGERIA (August 10 - August 14)
- Down to Kano and then travel east to Maiduguri (likely not via Abuja, as reflected on the map)
CAMEROON (August 14-21)
- Banki down to Garoua to Ngaoundere
- Ngaoundere to Tibati
- Tibati to Bafoussam
- Bafoussam to Bafang
- Bafang to Douala
- Douala to Kribi